Thursday, January 12, 2012

The light turned red

       Interesting discussion I had with my teenagers. We attended a funeral mass this morning in honor of their grandmother. Following the mass, we tagged along the hearse.
      
      While stopping on a red light, my teenagers who were talking about the number of people who paid their last respects to their grandmother suddenly said, what if you died Mi (short for Mommy)? You will have throng of people paying their last respects for you. My other teenager said, yes, the Army and Police will be there including those you have served. Then, my other teenager said, maybe they will honor you with a 21-gun salute.
      
      I said maybe. However, I will be buried in Bohol. If I’m here at the time of death, I will have some days for funeral here but I have to be buried in Bohol. However, if I’m in Bohol at the time of death, I won’t be brought here anymore.
      
Then, the green light went on, and the drive continued.
      
I think that the way I openly talked about death with my teenagers have allowed them to look at death differently. It’s not something that we should be afraid of. It’s a natural occurrence of life.

 Food for thought: I've told my children that when I die, to release balloons in the sky to celebrate that I graduated. For me, death is a graduation. - Elisabeth Kubler-Ross

No comments:

Post a Comment