Thursday, March 3, 2011

Seppuku

“Honor for the samurai (superior warrior class) was dearer than life and in many cases; self destruction was regarded not simply as right, but as the only right course. Disgrace and defeat were atoned by committing hara-kiri or seppuku (seppuku (sape-puu-kuu), the Japanese formal language term for ritual suicide hara-kiri (har-rah-kee-ree), the common language term).

Other reasons a samurai committed seppuku were to show contempt for an enemy; to protest against injustice; as a means to get their lord to reconsider an unwise or unworthy action; and as a means to save others.”

I was contemplating on the manner by which former Secretary Angelo Reyes ended his life.

I have read so many brilliant articles written about it, and yet here I am, an ordinary mortal puzzled in a way, by his death.

When the institution I have provided lectures on Gender Sensitivity; Public Speaking; and Leadership from August-October last year, asked me to submit my final examination questions on the subject leadership two weeks back, you can be sure I had a question formulated about the suicide of then Secretary Reyes. I asked my police students to use the leadership lens.

Naturally, I had varied reactions and answers. It was a excellent exercise both for them and myself. They were able to express their views openly without fear and reservation.

According to Japanese tradition, a Samurai is a warrior. I have seen the movie Samurai twice and I must admit I have admired the Japanese more after watching the movie. Their love of country is admirable.

If you are a soldier - an official at that, you are a warrior. A warrior is a samurai.

My readings say that “Other reasons a samurai committed seppuku were to show contempt for an enemy; to protest against injustice; as a means to get their lord to reconsider an unwise or unworthy action; and as a means to save others.”

If one were to analyze that, a warrior’s seppuku or hara-kiri then could be attributed to any one of the above reasons; two or three of the above reasons; or all of the above.

Relating to what former Secretary Reyes did, was it a silent but loud protest against the injustice he felt and was subjected to? Or a means to save others? Or both?

My job is not to moralize.

I give you room to self-debate.

No comments:

Post a Comment