Tuesday, September 7, 2010

The real thing

I chanced upon two men having conversation in a hotel coffee shop two weekends past. I joined them. Interesting talk. One inspired moment.

The most inspiring thing about it was I only proceeded to the coffee shop to drink water or juice while waiting for my former colleagues who were supposed to fetch me on their way to Davao.

The chance encounter was a weekend surprise considering the amount of information I gathered and the satisfying animated conversation that transpired. Indeed we don’t lack for inspiration in everyday life as long as we let life surprise us.

That same weekend, my former colleagues brought me to Davao City to attend a birthday affair. I gladly obliged. I needed a new environment. Let us just say I needed inspiration.

The curious thing was we were supposed to go Davao in the morning but return Gen. Santos City by nightfall. Hmmm. Oh well, I’m just a passenger in this trip; who am I to complain?

By the time we reached Davao City, we had lunch right away. We were a pack of hungry wolves, so to speak, devouring the array of food on the table. After we feasted on the food, we sung our hearts out as if we owned the house haha.

By mid-afternoon, the gang wanted to go shopping. Again, I joined them. By evening, we returned to the birthday celebrator’s house and partook of the sumptuous birthday dinner prepared by the family.

Ahh what a trip. Totally odd. I chuckled at the thought that I traveled to Davao City just to have lunch and dinner. Isn’t that odd? Odd but entertaining. It was like I brought my own kitchen and dining room somewhere else. But the experience was worth the exhaustion. After all, surprises make our day!

So thank you Melody Mativo Zamora for including me in the trip.

And birthday wishes to Mr. Boni Colipano of NGCP-District 6, our magnanimous host. May God grant you the desires of your heart.

o 0 o

I have about three friends going through a broken heart lately. Two have asked me to write something about it. Tough job huh! I’m not the “Let’s mend your broken heart” expert, but well, we can always do research about heartbreaks and stuff.

I have lifted these from the TheSite.org. It looks helpful enough. Perhaps these can aid you mend your broken heart.

~ Treat yourself gently

Be gentle with your heart. That’s me talking. The article says, “You can feel so 'knocked' after your heart is broken that you feel seriously ill, or as if you have been in a car crash.”

If it were a boxing match, you are totally knocked out. “So, treat yourself as if you are recovering from a bad illness or a road traffic accident. Let other people care for you, too. Get as much sleep as possible. Eat lovely foods. Convalesce. And allow yourself to cry - even if you're a bloke (meaning a man). It's horrible at the time, but you will feel better afterwards. All in all, take life gently – you have had a shock, and your mind and body need time to get over it.”

Hmmm, now you know. A broken heart is not imagined. It is real. It is painful. It totally sucks! And so, treat yourself gently and let other people care for you, too. Now you can start asking, “Hey, where are the rest of my friends? Help! I’m hurting.”

~ Pep up your social life

Here goes the kindred spirits. “Your friends will help you get over it.” Whatever shall we do without friends huh? “Soon, they will be asking you to come out in a group to the cinema or the pub or whatever. At first you won't be in the mood, but soon you will realize that there are some bonuses to being single again. In fact, you will find that this is a good time to do stuff that you didn't do in the past.”

~ Look back to look forward

“Once you're over the stage of feeling shocked and ill, try to look back at your relationship as it really was, not through the rose-tinted spectacles you have worn for so long.”

Reflect. Evaluate. Sort out.

~ Starting again

“Sometimes when our hearts are broken we want to find someone new to love us as soon as possible. This is natural - but unwise. Your best bet is to embrace your single life wholeheartedly for six months or so. Your emotions are not going to settle for quite a while – tell me about it, so have fun, but don't go looking for anything else serious until you are happy with being single again.”

Let me repeat that: Don’t go looking for something serious until you are happy with being single again. “You will know you are getting over your heartache when you can get through a whole day without thinking about the person.”

Some would probably say these steps are easier said than done. It is. So, my practical advice is to focus on Step 1 first. Be gentle with your heart. Be gentle with your soul.

o O o

P.S. I can’t end this column without acknowledging the two gentlemen that I mentioned in my first paragraph. I saved the best for last haha. Thank you Rombar Bartolome of East Asia Royale Hotel for the brewed coffee. You are right. Your brewed coffee is best. Thank you also for introducing me to Atty. Angelito P. Magno, the newly-appointed head of the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI)-Region 12.

It was a fun moment no matter how serious the topic was. See you around.

o O o

Food for thought:
The main things which seem to me important on their own account, and not merely as means to other things, are knowledge, art, instinctive happiness, and relations of friendship or affection.  - Bertrand Russell

No comments:

Post a Comment